Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Yesterday was our golden anniversary, ok not in the traditional sense, but we have been married seven years on the 7th. We kind of had 2 days of celebrating it. We had a date on Saturday that you see in the pictures (that will come later once my computer cooperates) and we had a date on our anniversary which I remembered the camera case, but not the camera :). On Saturday we went to eat at Coast for lunch - thanks to Alicia and my mom's talking about how good it was. It was a perfect setting overlooking the lake and the art museum. I would probably liked dinner better to get the true experience, but the lunch was pricey enough :). Great topovers or popovers (bread) and cucumber dill salad! We then went on to the art museum. I was surprised Steve wanted to go, but the special exhibit was about comic books. He loved reading them when he was a kid, so he enjoyed seeing them. We made it through the whole building in a little over a hour - I guess we're not the best art connoisseurs. Yesterday, we headed off to Madison and walked around the State Capitol and State St. What a beautiful view from the observation deck at the Capitol! (Even though it took about 100 steps to get there :). That evening we went the Melting Pot restaurant. What a cool concept! It is all fondue. We had 4 courses: cheese, salad, main, chocolate. They do it all at your table on a hotplate with a fondue pot. So fun! Be prepared though...it took 2 1/2 hours before we were done. I loved how they lit the chocolate one on fire - for effect of course :). The meal consisted of Wisconsin trio of cheeses with sherry and shallots; chef salad; filet, citrus pork, shrimp, & chicken with vegetables in a vegetable bouillon with Burgundy wine, mushrooms & garlic; turtle - milk chocolate, caramel, & pecans. Needless to say a very rich meal which kind of was a little much for the stomach - but an awesome experience!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! You guys sure know how to celebrate! I agree, Coast is pricy but I loved the atmosphere, service, and unique menu. We are the same way about the art museum. They devote so much space to weird new contemporary stuff that we breeze right through most of it. That melting pot sounds DIVINE! Especially the cheese and the turtle chocolate. Happy Anniversary! Ours is coming up next week and I think we're grilling some t-bones to celebrate. :) We're poor, what can I say.

The Two of Us said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Thanks for your comment on my blog - do you mind if I add you as a link on mine?

Jen said...

Al-
Steaks are always better cooked at home than almost any restaurant anyways - enjoy your anniversary!

Sandra-
No problem! Can I add you? By the way, how is Vanessa doing?

Unknown said...

Okay, with that last comment, you are now forced to teach me how to make steaks. I can cook almost anything, but steaks have always evaded me. Please share when you can!!

Jen said...

Hi Danna! Well we always cook them on the grill and have various seasonings we put on them - actually from Aldi's believe it or not :). They have like char-grill seasonings,etc. in a 5 different seasoning container. We have a meat thermometer that says when the steak is medium - still red- and that seems to make the most difference--you taste the flavors a whole lot more. Bone-in ribeye seems more tender too.

The Two of Us said...

Jen, I'll add you and you are welcome to add me. Vanesa is doing well. She is still in Saipan (starting her 8th year there). We talk almost weekly. Her email address is holly_jollyvkp@hotmail.com and I'm sure she would love to hear from you.

Monica said...

I am so happy that you guys had such an awesome anniversary. Sorry again for the late card...I can now truly say it is in the mail :)

I am jealous that you guys know how to add links. I still can't figure it out!!!!