Tuesday, August 01, 2006



Our weekend - Part II
We stayed up late and spent time with Grandma and Uncle Kevin. The next day we saw Grandpa, and he kept saying, "Where's my little sweetie?" to Sierra. It was good to see Grandma was already on her feet after the surgery. She had half of a knee replaced which allowed her to walk around still while it was healing. It was so good to see them, even though we only had a short time to visit. Around mid-afternoon my sister called and said they were close to our exit. Nancy drove me to 94, and I met up with my sister and brother in law to head to the funeral. It only took us about 2 hours to head to Detroit, so we arrived an hour early. They had a slideshow going on with pictures of Ed with songs playing. The songs were just perfect for the pictures. They talked about dancing with Jesus and were really powerful. There was even a video of Kelley and Ed dancing/kissing at their wedding - how precious! I had already gone through a handful of Kleenex before the funeral started. We went up to Kelley and let her know we're praying for her and love her and her family. What can I say, but that the entire service was a testament of praise to God. It started with praise songs being led by the worship team like Lord I give you my heart, & Blessed be your name. Kelley stood up and sang with arms stretched out towards heaven. Wow it even brings tears to my eyes now. You could see firsthand her dependence upon God. They had people tell stories of his life and even of most recently with his struggle to keep going for his family and his continual desire to seek God. Josh Waltz, her brother gave a message from Job (whose life Ed had been studying) and included the gospel. We ended with Chris Tomlin songs Indescribable & How Great is our God & then Lord I Lift Your Name on High. You left feeling triumphant, realizing God is sovereign and we can rest in Him for strength, guidance. It was powerful - like nothing I had ever experienced. Keep Kelley and her family in your prayers. She will be going to various family members houses for the next month before she goes back home to get the kids in school. What a journey! Thank you Kelley for sharing your life with us--it truly is a blessing and example!

5 comments:

christina said...

wow, thanks for sharing that, jen. we were out of town so we weren't able to attend, but i have only heard great things about the praise that our Savior received through that service.
i remember you telling me that you knew kelley from way back when. she has really challenged me over the past few months. what a blessing she must have been to ed. my mom was telling me about some really sweet emails she received from edward a few months back...how much he adored his sweet wife. we will definitely keep her, aidan and kya in our prayers.

Jen said...

Is the Tally (dentist) he mentioned in his posts your relation? That's so cool how he put on his sign to pray for them.

christina said...

yeah, my uncle paul (dad's brother). when my cousin laura was in kindergarten, ed was a helper for her gym class. she had a HUGE crush on him, so my uncle would always joke with ed about that. laura's first crush. :) then they invited him to her k graduation party and everything. it was too funny. laura was so embarrased!

Troy & Sherry said...

jen-
thanks for sharing - got me all teary eyed just reading it -
her family is in my heart and prayers...
love ya -

Monica said...

What an amazing God to allow people to feel victory even over death. It is so awesome that Kelley could even muster the strength to stand much less lift her hands in praise to God. What a huge testamony to me and to everyone else around!!!