Tuesday, August 08, 2006


Lots of blogging going on the last couple of days, but this is the busiest part of our year. This blog is dedicated to our life one year ago today in which Sierra broke her leg. Because of her age and the location of the break, she had to be put in a body cast for 6 weeks. We thought our world was going to end. I couldn't lift her, so Steve had to take off for 4 of those weeks and 2 more after she got it off for recovery. We stayed at his parent' s house for 2 weeks, so his mom and grandma could help me lift her and move her around. She was in a wheelchair, but had to be reclined down, b/c she couldn't sit up. It was overwhelming! She only had a small area open on the bottom that we stuffed a diaper into. We had to put a large one on the outside to protect her cast. She got such bad rashes inside the cast where her skin was raw. I never thought we would make it through. Thank the Lord we did! He helped her heal amazingly fast after she got her cast off. Within 6 weeks after her cast was off, there was no limp at all. All that to say, I tried to help Sierra realize what a blessing her being able to run, ride her bike and even walk is. We tend to always take the everyday things for granted, but today we prayed together and thanked the Lord for all He's done. It truly is a miracle!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, girl. I had never seen a picture of Sierra's cast. Her limbs must have been so tiny, smelly and jelly-like when the cast was finally removed.

Praise God for His sustaining grace. I bet you are awed by His grace and strength now that you look back on all that ordeal caused!

Troy & Sherry said...

that is amazing - i know brandy was in a full body cast for months when she was about 9 - not fun at all....
i am glad you put our blog as a link to yours :)

christina said...

whoa baby! that's just crazy. but i love her ear to ear smile. what a trooper. and here, here to super mom and macho dad! i definitely would have had a major meltdown with a full body. but i'm bracing myself. nathan was known in every er from here to colorado. i'm just waiting for the day connor says, "hey, mom! look i can fly!" right before he leaps from the porch. :)

The Two of Us said...

Wow! I cannot even imagine that. Of course, I still can't imagine taking care of a kid in general, but that is extreme. Praise God you made it through and can definitely teach a lesson about being thankful.

Monica said...

Oh my. It was just as I had imagined. I don't know how you guys didn't go insane. She has become such a trooper!!! No kidding...it is so easy to take simple things for granted until they get taken away. That is how I felt when I was sick with pneumonia and recovering from my c-section. I just wanted to go outside and play with my girls...but I couldn't :(

Unknown said...

I think it's beautiful how you chose to handle teaching her through such a trial.