Wednesday, August 02, 2006


Our weekend - Part III
We left the funeral about 9:45 p.m. and started our trek towards home. Thankfully Nancy met us at the exit again, so we could pick up Sierra (11p.m.). We had hoped to stop in Indiana, but every hotel we called or stopped at was booked, except for one for $120 a night - yeah right! I felt so bad for Rob driving the whole way. We hit pretty bad construction in SW Michigan and in Indiana. I really can't stand the concrete barriers and makeshift lanes while going somewhat normal freeway speeds next to semis. I know I would not have done well, especially so late at night. We finally did book a hotel over the Illinois border, but missed it b/c it was a makeshift exit right before the breakoff for 94 and the bypass. We got off at the next exit in hopes to go back. Let me just pause to say - nothing is ever easy on a toll road. If you make a mistake your paying double and triple tolls to get on and off and the exits are few and far between. Well, the ramp back on the bypass east was closed for the night! Thankfully, when we tried to cancel our reservation, we found out they messed up and didn't even reserve it, even though we had a confirmation number. Hallelujah! And normally Chicago is the most dreaded part of the trip due to traffic, it was smooth sailing all the way home. I guess 2:00 a.m. does that for ya :). Needless to say after 2 days of endless traveling, we were thankful to be home and rest up for all the sleep loss. Someone sure missed her daddy! I did too :)

4 comments:

Monica said...

Phew...that must have been quite the evening. Congratulations to you all for not killing each other :)

You are such a terrific friend, Jen! I am so glad you got to go.

Troy & Sherry said...

were you anywhere near lafayette? you ding dong you could have stayed with us for free - :)next time you are travelling through let us know .....
Glad you got home safely and we able to encourage Kelley!

Jen said...

Thanks Sherry! We were on 94 in the northern part of the state, but thank you so much for the offer. We'll have to stop by when we go through Lafayette.

Unknown said...

I completely understand the sacrifices involved with this funeral, & I know Kelley appreciates yours so much. The car trip with the kids was about enough to crack my head into a thick tree, but everyone lived! Sometimes that's my greatest accomplishment of the day. hah

Thank you for coming, Jen, & thanks for coming over to talk to me too -- I was thrilled you'd do that as I stood there in my little cubby hole corner.