Wednesday, March 07, 2007

She thinks she's the next Brett Favre. Whenever I let her dress herself she either puts on her Packer outfit or her Brewers outfit :). Now we just need to channel that energy and enthusiasm into getting ready for school :)

Well time for an uplifting post! It is a gorgeous day today and we are loving the sunshine! We are looking forward to the long range planners showing a 50 degree mark in the works. Three weeks from today we go to see if I can get the boot off. Woohoo! We purchased an Apple laptop this weekend, but I haven't used it much yet, b/c we don't have the necessary equipment to go online with it or MS office. I did sit in a parking lot near free wifi and tried it out though. That is nice to sit in the car while my daughter is snoozing in the back and be able to work on the computer. She is recently not loving to take naps, but I can tell she still needs them. So en route around town she falls asleep. So either I drive for an hour, or park for an hour. Now I have the laptop to keep me occupied :). Last night we went to an open house to check out a school. It was really weird for me. I guess it seems so far away yet so close. I was kind of hoping we could make it uneventful and just sign her up. Well that was before I was ushered into the world of private schools. You set up a meeting for questions, turn in the application with $98, Set up another meeting for Kindergarten readiness, Go to another meeting to discuss the outcome of the readiness meeting, they discuss which of the 2 teachers' styles best fit with yours, and then turn in a Pastor's referral sheet, sign a statement of faith(Sr. year at NBBC :), and welcome you in. I feel like I'm back at Northland! I understand the process, but I just wish I could say here's your lunchbox and backpack, have a great day, love you! :). We shall see. I need to get my act together b/c it all needs to be done within the next 6 weeks. I also have to decide between 1/2 and full day. I 'm leaning towards 1/2 to kind of acclimate her into school. What do you guys think?

9 comments:

Esther said...

We're looking at the school stuff too - it's a bit much, I agree. Private isn't an option for us. There's a public school right across the street from us, but we haven't ruled out home schooling either. We are in much prayer over it! Keep me posted as the process continues for you guys. 1/2 day or full day, not sure what to tell you - I guess I would lean towards 1/2 day too. I can't even believe we're talking about our little girls going to school - just yesterday we were exchanging birth stories on these two!!

Jen said...

Crazy isn't it?! I also thought all the peer pressure on growth and development was done after potty training. Boy was I wrong! I have to keep reminding myself to rest and trust in Him about everything!

Tricia said...

Jen,
I haven't personally had any experience with kindergarten, but my mother-in-law is an awesome teacher who has been at it for 25 years. She will not teach kids for a full day,but instead does two groups for 1/2 day, morning or afternoon, so that might give you an idea on what she would recommend.

Unknown said...

Totally 1/2 a day, Jen -- that's my two cents!

Jen said...

Esther, Tricia, & Danna-I'm so glad you guys are leaning the same way. I think it will be culture shock as it is to have to sit still and be quiet for 4 hours every day in the same room (other than sleeping :) vs. a virtual all day playtime.

Monica said...

I am 100% for 1/2 day! I think it is just too much too fast for both you and Sierra.

Yikes, are you entering her into the military or school??? Lots of stuff to do....and expensive...ouch! I am so hoping I will still be able to send my kids to the public school here. Only have heard good things. That happens in a conservative community of only 3500 :)

I will be praying. Keep me posted on how it goes!

Liesl said...

is she five this august?
i would lean towards half day, too. it is awesome to remember what our parents did for us in schooling and to be able to pour that into our kids--i'm sure you're having flashbacks to childhood through your daughter like i am. sometimes, i see expressions or hear statements or watch actions and it is like, whew, i did that before...and now i can relive some of that. life is a circle. and then we have heaven on the other side--hallelujah.

christina said...

definitely 1/2 day. even some first graders have trouble adjusting to a full day during the first few weeks. i personally fell asleep every day for a week during math class. :)
yeah, private schools can be a lot of work for you....i know. i taught at a pretty good one and there's a lot for parents to do.
pretty crazy thinking about school, huh? i don't even want to go there...but it will be here in a flash. of course, my biggest concern will probably be telling connor don't get into wrestling matches or food fights. :)

ps-love the pics...two sides to that kid, huh? very cute!

Unknown said...

Sorry I'm so late to chime in on this! Love Sierra's favre outfit by the way.

I too vote for the 1/2 day thing but I don't have any experiential advice of course. Just seems that would be an easier transition.