Friday, September 22, 2006


My dresser broke last week, so I went on a quest to find one. I must confess the original model was a trash to treasure find minus the treasure. :) My husband suggested going to rummage sales to find one. Well I have kind of steered clear of such sales in the past since it was a nightmare taking my little toddler to an area of cool toys everywhere and pulling her away crying afterwards. Well I saw in the paper a whole condo complex having a sale - right up my alley - a number of sales all within walking distance. It was totally of the Lord. As soon as we pulled in we saw 2 dressers at the first house. Guess how much they were - $5 a piece ! I said I'll take them! They were white with paint chipped all around it, but I figured I'd try to make them work. WOOHOO - they did! They are so deep and finally house our sweatshirts and sweaters along with our regular clothes too. I just painted them black to hide all the gashes and gouges and they seem to work really well. These were a literal trash to treasure!

10 comments:

christina said...

wow! great find! black paint hides a multitude of sins. :) connor has my old dresser from high school and we stained it super dark and changed the hardware....dark stain also hides a multitude of sins. :) like all the condensation rings from me not listening to my mom when she told me to use a coaster! :)

Heather said...

I am not one to go to rumage sales...I guess it is the same reason you gave...2 toddlers...it is like an early christmas!!! :) I must admit though...great find and maybe I should go!! :)

Unknown said...

great finds, girl! I love the idea of painting them black - tres chic! Oh boy, I love going to rummage sales. I sure hope Chloe doesn't become a hindrance to my sale hopping.

Monica said...

LOVE THEM!!!! WAY TO GO, JEN. I LOVE THE BLACK TOO. PRAISE GOD FOR HIS ENCOURAGEMENT AND PROVISION.

Troy & Sherry said...

great job jen! yahoo! a girl after my own heart :)

Jen said...

Christina - Yeah this must have been a kid's dresser too - circle stickers half off in the front. Thankfully we were able to just paint the gold handles to black - b/c those little knobs get expensive and hard to cover up the holes from the last ones. We found our other dresser from a rummage sale in Norway, MI ($25)and changed the knobs and ended up spending more on the knobs than the dresser - frustrating :)!
Heather - Good to hear from you! I am still a skeptic about driving around for hours to separate ones, but I'll splurge for the whole community ones.

pamela s said...

Great job! I love good deals at garage sales/flea markets. We got our dresser sest at a flea market. We had to strip & stain it, but it turned out gorgeous! Sometimes it pays to do it yourself.

Liesl said...

very cool and creative, jenn--does your house look as crafty and cool and smell like cinnamon--like i remember it being in muskego, and at northland, for that matter!?

Unknown said...

What a great idea to paint them black, Jen! It looks great, & deep drawers are so hard to find these days ~ gotta love that part!

Jen said...

Sherry - you guys really inspire me to redo everything, but I don't have the skills like you do! Liesl - Well it smells mostly like either apples or cinnamon according to whatever bath n body oil I have burning at the time :). I've changed a lot in the house since NBBC- (for one thing we were able to paint - woohoo!) a little contempo in the living room & dining room, bright yellow in Sierra's room and we kept the cabiny look for the bedroom.